Being bullied at a school or nursery school / creche is probably one of the worst things your child can go through.
Before sending your child to any nursery school, Primary School or High School asks if they have a “bullying policy”.
Listen when your child talks to you, never dismiss anything as “nothing”; Yes, I know they’re telling thousands of stories, but some stories need to set off warning bells !!
Note the following warning signs that your child may be bullied at school:
– All of a sudden your toddler tells you on a daily basis that someone has done this or that to him or her.
– Marks, scratches or bruises that appear on a daily basis
– Change in eating habits and sleep routine
– Very hungry when he or she gets home
– School books, tuckshop money, lunch boxes, school clothing disappears
– Does not want to ride on bus or arranged transport
– Does not use school bathroom at all
– Wets the bed
– Has fewer friends
– Refuses to go to school
– Marks drop drastically in subjects
– Talks of suicide
– Becomes sad for no reason
– What is their mood when he or she comes from school? If you know your child well, you will immediately know if something is wrong
Ask direct questions:
– You are always hungry, do you share your lunch box with someone?
– Where did you fall at school
– Your jacket has been torn, where did you snag it?
A child who stays silent and does not answer you, must be taken seriously.
On my next blog, I will share what to do if you think your child is bullied.